Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Stay in School, Kids

Researching graduate schools is something that every pretentious soon-to-be fourth year undergraduate has to do. In my case, it's not a substitute for law school or an attempt to make myself appear to have lofty, academic ambitious when I'm really just going to get an MBA. No, I actually want to go. I like the stuff I study and having done work and done school, I cannot figure out why so many people finish school and say, "it's such a relief to be working now! THe schedule's so much better!"
NOw, I get that it's cool to be paid, but the work-life schedule is NOT better. Workers have to work at least 8 hours a day when their bosses want them too. Now, I work hard, I work the equivolent to the 40 hour work week, but less my 12 hours of class a week, that's 40 hours a week done when I want to do it. THis means I sleep in, which means I can go out on weeknights and not be dead on my feet the next day. THis means I can do my work anywhere, and not just when I have access to my colleagues and secret work files that must be kept at work. I can spread my work out to do a bit over the weekend just so I can squeeze in some extra me time during the week if that's when I feel like doing my relazing, instead of just relaxing on Saturday whether I feel like it or not because that's when I have time to do so. I have flexibility.
Being an adult and a student is great. I live on my own and don't have parents telling me when to go to sleep like in high school, but I don't have a boss telling me when I have to get up like in the real world! Sure, education is an expensive habit. ANd once my education fund runs out, I'll be racking up student loans galore; however, you only have to stop paying student loans once you leave school, and who says I'm ever going to do that?

No comments: